Monday, September 13, 2010

Uh Oh

So in trying to prepare to study for my Life Span Developmental Psychology Exam, i was reviewing the outline, and realized I only needed 1 of the 3 books they listed... so I accidently bought like 2 extra texts and 2 extra study guides, hoping I can return for my money back... Also noticed that I have til Sept 30th to take the exam or I have to probably order new books so I am going to have my nose in the book these next two weeks in hopes of acing this exam before sept 30th.  However, I have one small problem known as World of Warcraft... dorky I know but I have been sucked into that game for over 4 years.  Going to do my best to put it aside for the next two weeks so I can study.

Two calls today at work, a fire alarm at one of the local schools, got canceled en route, and a gas leak.  Now for those of you who work out in my area we all know the gas and electric company take hrs usually to get on scene, today it was less than 10 minutes.  Job well done without ever leaving the truck lol. Looking forward to getting back on the medic truck this weekend, No partner as of yet on the schedule so hopefully its a good surprise.

For those of you in EMS, How easy does your area hospitals make it to check up on patients you have had?  Most calls do not bother me, but a few weeks ago I had a pt under the age of 40, cardiac arrest, asystole, CPR initiated by BLS.  I got the tube within minutes of being on scene while my partner started the IV.  family stated possible opiate over dose so we gave some narcan, and two rounds of epi/ atropine.  Now PEA another round of epi/ atropine.  Somehow in the midst of this our line got pulled out so I started an IO.  Some bicarb and calcium chloride later the pt was sinus tach with pulses.  continued the fluid, and transported over to the hospital.  So far great feeling although I dont suspect a good outcome in the long run.  The pt. maintained their own heart beat and BP as far as I know all day without coding again, but since then I havent been able to check up on the pt.  I just wish there was an easy way of following up on patients and knowing their outcome, to see just how big of a difference we made.  After that call, another code, under the age of 40...  what the heck was going on, however this had a much better outcome of A&Ox3 within minutes of being on scene... Narcan... Paramagic... synonyms?

No comments:

Post a Comment