Friday, September 10, 2010

Opening Day

Ditch Doctor: (n) a.k.a. "A Paramedic- the closet thing to a doctor that you will find while lying in a ditch on the side of the road."

While I admit that I am not the creator of this definition, I sure did find it amusing, and even slightly empowering.

So I am totally new to this whole blogging idea, and actually never thought I would ever do something like this, but after finding blogs done by many others in my profession's community I thought, maybe I could tell my story, since life itself is a story, an adventure, a book of many lessons with no foreseeable ending.

Before we start I suppose I should give the typical disclaimer I have seen on each and every site I have come across so far.  For the purpose of privacy; Names, Dates, Times, or Addresses will all be modified to protect the privacy of myself and others involved in my story.  The opinions reflected within these posts are the opinions of myself, and do NOT necessarily coincide with the opinions of my employers, or the people of the communities for which I work.  With that said I hope that someone reads this and enjoys my story as a young firefighter/ paramedic in today's society.

And so it begins.  My journey to be a firefighter, began at a very young age, addicted to Backdraft, I fell in love with the idea of being a firefighter.  Though as time went on I always wanted to be in the military.  After high school I attended one of the prestigious U.S. military academies.  During my time at said military academy, I fathered a beautiful young boy which disqualified me from continuing in my journey to become a military officer.  It was at that point I decided to pursue my dream of becoming a firefighter.  I came home with no real work experience or any type of skill that would help be obtain my goals, so I began volunteering for a fire department in my home town, that also employed career firefighters during the day to cover when volunteers were unavailable.  Taking a suggestions from my dad (and I still feel this is the best advice he has ever given me) I enrolled in the accelerated EMT course at one of the local institutions.  A short time later I was employed by a private company working as and EMT-B.  As time went on and I was unsure of my chances at getting hired as a firefighter, I applied for the Paramedic class as a back-up plan incase I did not get hired at the fire department.  About half way through the didactic instruction I had gotten hired by the same fire department I was volunteering for and left the ambulance company.  I was one of the lucky few aspiring firefighters to get hired on their first try!  I began my journey as a firefighter; excited, uncertain, and looking forward to what each day on the job had in store. 

I finished the didactic portion of the program and continued my clinical rotations on the weekend, since I worked Monday through Friday at the fire house.  At this point I began to realize my passion for EMS, and often wonder (even to this day) if I should just focus on being a Paramedic rather than splitting myself between the two jobs.  After a few long months and plenty of time busting my ass, I passed the National Registry and practical exams on my first try, I was and am officially a Paramedic!  I applied to a local company that covers a large area of my state (XYZ Ambulance) and I am currently employed as a per diem Paramedic, often working M-F at the fire house, then Saturday and Sunday as a Paramedic.  I am sure you can now see I have very little time to myself. 

As time continues, I feel as if I have to choose between one or the other.  The fire department I work for pays very well, also including a nice pension and benefits.  I work with amazing people, and the job itself is not overly stressful, or even the slightest bit difficult.  However, I feel as if my intelligence is not being used to its full potential.  Day in and Day out, the weeks go by often with very few calls if any.  I go to work do the same truck checks on the same trucks that never move, I sweep the same floors that are only dirtied by the sand blown in on windy days.  I eat the same meals, watch the same news, and attend the same department briefings.  I find myself looking forward to the weekends, not for the time off, but for the time to work as a medic, to help others, to fulfill that desire which lead me to wanting to be a firefighter in the begining, I find that satisfaction in being a medic. 

Many people say, "if your not happy, leave and do what makes you happy."  I am sure many of you know not only will you not become rich working as a medic, but sometimes it is almost impossible to even just make ends meat without working the overtime just to cover your necessary bills.  I feel stuck, obligated to work at the fire house just to pay my bills, especially in the midst of a heated custody battle for my son.  All the while wishing I could just work as a medic full time, and expand my knowledge, perfect my skills, and make a difference for the people who call on us each and every day. 

routine...same trucks... same checks... same floors... same shit different day...

So, I ask anyone who reads this for advice, your input, how do you continue to love your job when you are on the edge of burn out, when you are tired of the same routine, when you feel stuck? Whether firefighter, paramedic or none of the above what keeps you interested.

  Well being that tomorrow is Saturday, 9/11 albeit, let us never forget the so many brothers and sisters that gave the ultimate sacrifice to serve the citizens of NYC, and for those that continue to serve in today's military to fight for our freedom.  With that being said it is probably time for bed since I am working the farthest unit from my house and I have an hr drive early in the morning.  Hopefully I don't see any of you who read this tomorrow, but if I do, I promise to do my best. 

Good night!
FM3293

No comments:

Post a Comment